Clinical Associate Professor
Department of Restorative Sciences
3302 Gaston Avenue
Dallas, Texas 75246
Dr. Helena Tapias earned her dental degree at the Universidad Nacional de Colombia in 1994 and received her Master’s degree in Geriatric Dentistry from the Oral Health Services for Older Adults Program at the University Of Minnesota School Of Dentistry in 2007.
Currently she is a Clinical Associate Professor at Texas A&M University College of Dentistry. She joined the Restorative Sciences Department on 2008 as an Assistant Professor. She teaches undergraduate students in both, Clinical and Laboratories courses.
Dr Tapias’ research focuses on Geriatric dentistry and currently she is the PI of a the project: “Oral Health Status of Independent Older Adults in Texas-Pilot Study” funded by Delta Dental and Co- PI for the project entitled” Oral Health Status of Independent Older Adults in Texas: The Urban and Rural Approach”
Dr. Tapias is a founding board member of the North Texas Hispanic Dental Association and she was recently named member of the Elder Dental Care Special Committee of the Texas Oral Health Coalition. She served during 2013-2014 as the Chairperson of the Section of Gerontology and Geriatrics Education Committee from the American Dental Association.
She is the founder of the Annual Linda C. Niessen Geriatric Dentistry Symposium in Dallas, Texas.
- Oral presentation at the 2012 Southwest Dental Conference. Women’s Forum: “Geriatric Dentistry”. Thursday, January 12, 2012.
- Oral presentation at the 2012 Southwest Dental Conference: “Interdisciplinary Management of the Geriatric Patient”. Saturday, January 14, 2012.
- Oral presentation at the 90th General Session & Exhibition. IADR Latin American Regional Meeting. “Students Self-Assessment of Competence and Knowledge in Geriatric Dentistry- The results from the 3 Dental Schools in Texas”. July 20, 2012. Iguaçu Falls, Brazil.
- Lunch and Learn Session: “Students Self-Assessment of Competence and Knowledge in Geriatric Dentistry” Presented during the Hispanic Dental Association 18th Annual Meeting. Chicago, Illinois. Saturday, October 30, 2010.
- Table Clinic Presentation: “Dentistry and the Aging Patient” 2007 Texas Oral Health Summit. Austin, TX. October 19, 2007.
- Oral presentation at Greater Houston Hispanic Dental Association -Scientific Monthly Meeting. Title: Dental Management of the Geriatric Patient. May 17, 2007.
- Table Clinic Presentation: “Oral Health in Nursing Homes” 2006 Texas Oral Health Coalition Summit. Austin, TX. November 16-17, 2006.
- Oral presentation at the Ombudsman Program- Center on Aging- School of Nursing University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. Title: Oral Health and Aging. November 1, 2006.
- Poster Presentation: D-4 Students Self-Assessment of Competence and Knowledge in Geriatric Dentistry: 88th General Session & Exhibition -IADR Annual Meeting. Centre Convencions International Barcelona (CCIB) Barcelona, Spain. Thursday, July 15, 2010.
- Poster Presentation: “Collaborative Partnership Approach to Increase Access to Dental Care for Underserved Children in North Texas” 18th Annual Hispanic Dental Association Meeting, Chicago, Illinois. October 29, 2010.
- Table Clinic Presentation: “Geriatric Dentistry: Are We Ready Yet? Star of the South Dental Meeting. Houston, Texas. March 2007.
- Oral presentation at University of Texas at Dental Branch at Houston. Title: The need to include Geriatric Dentistry in our Dental Curriculum. January 2006.
- April 1, 2015 3rd Place Award. 42nd Annual Research Scholars Day. Obtained by Maricarmen
- Ramirez (4th year Dental Student) mentored by Dr Helena Tapias
- Nov. 7, 2014 1st Place Poster Presentation: Texas Oral Health Annual Summit. Obtained by Dr Helena Tapias.
- Oct. 3, 2014 Recognition Award: Excellence in Leadership- NTHDA
- Oct. 14, 2014 Certificate of Recognition. Outstanding Community Service-Notre Dame Court & Notre Dame Place.
- April 2014 Award Recognition. ADEA: Leadership and dedicated service as a Chair of the ADEA Section on Gerontology and Geriatrics Education.
- Jan. 2014 Certificate of Appreciation, Health Science Center Texas A&M University College of Dentistry- 5 years of outstanding dedication and service.
- Nov. 2010 2010 Colgate-Palmolive/ Hispanic Dental Association Faculty Teaching Recognition Award.
- American Dental Association 2010- Present
- Texas Dental Association 2010- Present
- Dallas County dental Society 2010- Present
- IADR & D-AADR 2010- Present
- International Geriatric Oral Research Group (GORG) 2010- Present
- North Texas Hispanic Dental Association 2008-Present (Board Member)
- Houston Hispanic Dental Association 2005- 2008
- American Dental Education Association 2005- Present
- Special Care Dentistry Association 2000- Present
- Texas Oral Health Coalition 2003- Present
- Texas Oral Health Coalition 2013-Present (Elder Dental Care Special Committee)