Alton G. McWhorter, MS, DDS
Clinical Professor and Department Head
Diplomate American Board of Pediatric Dentistry
Department of Pediatric Dentistry
MS, Baylor College of Dentistry, 1989
DDS, University of Tennessee Medical Units, 1979
Alton G. McWhorter is originally from Jackson, Mississippi, and attended dental school at the University of Tennessee in Memphis. After practicing general dentistry for several years, he returned to school to specialize and earned a Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry and a Master’s of Science from Baylor College of Dentistry in Dallas. He practiced pediatric dentistry full time for two years before returning to Baylor to join the faculty in 1986.
Dr. McWhorter is currently a professor in the Department of Pediatric Dentistry and serves as department head. He has also published articles and abstracts in peer-reviewed journals on a variety of topics. He practices one half day a week in Duncanville.
Education and Post-Graduate Training
- Baylor College of Dentistry – Master’s in Oral Biology
- Baylor College of Dentistry - Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center- Doctor of Dental Science
- Mississippi College - BA
Small group teaching for adult education; innovation in information delivery to students
Behavior modification; children with special healthcare needs
- McWhorter AG and Townsend JA. Behavior Symposium Workshop A Report – Current Guidelines/Revisions. Pediatr Dent 36(2):152-53, 2014.
- Hinze ES, Casamassimo PS, Seale NS, McIIroy M, Kerins CA, McWhorter AG. Relative value of oral health in well-child care: a survey of pediatricians in Texas and Ohio. J Dent Child; 2014 81(2): 84-90.
- Hutcheson C, Seale NS, McWhorter AG, Kerins C, Wright J, Multi-surface composite vs. Stainless steel crown restorations after mineral trioxide aggregate pulpotomy: a randomized controlled trial. Pediatr Dent 2012:34(7): 460-67.
- Howley B, Seale NS, McWhorter AG, Kerins CA, Boozer KB, Lindsey D. Pulpotomy Versus Pulpectomy for Carious Vital Primary Incisors: Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatr Dent 34(5) e112-119, 2012.
- McWhorter AG. Treatment Planning for the Pediatric Patient. Texas Dental Journal, December 2010.
- Hisaw T, Kerins CA, McWhorter AG, Seale NS. Pediatric obesity curriculum in pediatric dental residency programs. Pediatr Dent 31(7):486-491, 2009.
- Savage B, McWhorter AG, Kerins CA, Seale NS. Preventive Resin Restorations-Practice and billing patterns of pediatric dentists. Pediatr Dent 31(3):210-215, 2009.
- Kerins CA, McWhorter AG, Seale NS. Pharmacologic Behavior Management of Pediatric Dental Patients Diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Pediatr Dent 29(6): 507-513, 2007.
Specialty Training/Board Certifications
American Board of Pediatric Dentistry 1994
- Site visitor for the ADA Commission on Dental Accreditation
- Examiner for the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry, Oral Clinical Exam
Awards and Honors
Selected for the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Leadership Training through the Kellogg Business School at Northwestern.