Hua Zhang, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Biomedical Sciences,
Texas A&M University College of Dentistry,
3302 Gaston Avenue-Room 456
Dallas, TX 75246
Education and Post-Graduate Training
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Texas A&M University College of Dentistry, Dallas, TX (2010-2016)
- Ph.D. Pharmacology/Molecular Biology & Biochemistry, School of Pharmacy, University of Missouri-Kansas City, MO (2010)
- M.S. Medical Pathology, Qingdao Medical College, Qingdao, China (1997)
- M.D., Qingdao Medical College, Qingdao, China (1994)
- Instructional Assistant Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Texas A&M University College of Dentistry (2017-present)
- Assistant Research Scientist, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Texas A&M University College of Dentistry (2016-2017)
- Visiting Senior Resident, Department of Pathology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Beijing, China (1999-2000)
- Pathologist and Instructor, Department of Pathology, Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao Medical College, Qingdao, China (1997-1999)
Teaching responsibilities include Dental Pharmacology (dental), Medical Pharmacology (dental) General Pathology (dental) and Gross Anatomy (dental).
My research interests include the Roles of bone morphogenetic protein 1 (BMP1)/tolloid-like I (TLL1) proteinases in dentinogenesis and the roles of FAM20C (Family with sequence similarity 20, member C) and SIBLING (small integrin binding ligands N-linked glycoprotein) family proteins in brain homeostasis.
- Liu C, Zhang H, Jani P, Wang X, Lu Y, Li N, Xiao J, Qin C. FAM20C regulates osteoblast behaviors and intracellular signaling pathways in a cell-autonomous manner. J Cell Physiol. 2018 Apr; 233(4): 3476-3486.
- Liu P, Ma S, Zhang H, Liu C, Lu Y, Chen Li, Qin C. Specific ablation of mouse Fam20C in cells expressing type I collage leads to skeletal defects and hypophosphatemia. Sci. Rep. 2017 Jun 15; 7(1):3590.
- Zhang H, Jani P, Liang T, Lu Y, Qin C. Inactivation of bone morphogenetic protein 1 (Bmp1) and tolloid-like 1 (Tll1) in cells expressing Type I collagen leads to dental and periodontal defects in mice, J Mol Histol. 2017 Apr; 48(2): 83-98.
- Zhang H, Wang J. Disruption of type I–IFN signaling decreases autoimmune development and kidney damage, but not anxiety-like behaviors in lupus NZB mice. J Depress Anxiety. 2017; 6:271.
- Xie X, Liu C, Zhang H, Jani PH, Lu Y, Wang X, Zhang B, Qin C. Abrogation of epithelial BMP2 and BMP4 causes Amelogenesis Imperfecta by reducing MMP20 and KLK4 expression. Sci. Rep. 2016 May 5; 6:25364.
- Zhang H, Liu P, Wang S, Liu C, Jani P, Lu Y, Qin C. Transgenic expression of dentin phosphoprotein inhibits skeletal development. Eur J Histochem. 2016 Mar 11; 60 (1): 2587.
- Jani PH, Gibson MP, Liu C, Zhang H, Wang X, Lu Y, Qin C. Transgenic expression of Dspp partially rescued the long bone defects of Dmp1-null mice. Matrix Biol. 2016 May-Jul; 52-54:95-112.
- Meng T, Huang Y, Wang S, Zhang H, Dechow PC, Wang X, Qin C, Shi B, D’Souza RN, Lu Y. Twist 1 is essential for tooth morphogenesis and odontoblast differentiation. J Bio Chem. 2015 Dec 4; 290(49): 29593-602.
- Feng JQ, Zhang H, Qin C. Letter to the Editor, “Osterix regulates tooth root formation in a site-specific manner’’. J Dent Res. 2015 Sep; 94(9): 1326.
- Mobley CG, Kuzynski M, Zhang H, Jani P, Qin C, Napierala D. Dspp-independent Effects of Transgenic Trps1 Overexpression on Dentin Formation. J Dent Res. 2015 Aug; 94(8): 1128-34.
- Liu C, Wang X, Zhang H, Xie X, Liu P, Liu Y, Jani PH, Lu Y, Chen S, Qin C. Immortalized Mouse Floxed Fam20c Dental Papillar Mesenchymal and Osteoblast Cell Lines Retain Their Primary Characteristics. J Cell Physiol. 2015 Nov; 230(11):2581-7
- Liu P, Zhang H, Liu C, Wang X, Chen L, Qin C. Inactivation of Fam20C in cells expressing type I collagen causes periodontal disease in mice. PLoS One. 2014 Dec 5; 9(12):e114396.
- Cao Z, Liu R, Zhang H, Liao H, Zhang Y, Hinton RJ, Feng JQ. Osterix controls cementoblast differentiation through down regulation of Wnt-signaling via enhancing DKK1 expression. Int J Biol Sci. 2015 Feb 5: 11(3): 335-44.
- Zhang H, Jiang Y, Qin C, Liu Y, Ho SP, Feng JQ. Essential Role of Osterix for Tooth Root but not Crown Dentin Formation. J Bone Miner Res. 2015 Apr; 30(4):742-6.
- Lin SX, Zhang Q, Zhang H, Yan K, Ward L, Lu YB, Feng JQ. Nucleus-targeted Dmp1 transgene fails to rescue dental defects in Dmp1 null mice. Int J Oral Sci. 2014 Sep; 6(3): 133-41.
- Huang Y, Meng T, Wang S, Zhang H, Mues G, Qin C, Feng JQ, D'Souza RN, Lu Y. Twist1- and Twist2-haploinsufficiency results in reduced bone formation. PLoS One. 2014 Jun 27; 9(6):e99331.
- Lin S, Zhang Q, Cao Z, Lu Y, Zhang H, Yan K, Liu Y, McKee MD, Qin C, Chen Z, Feng JQ. Constitutive nuclear expression of dentin matrix protein 1 fails to rescue the Dmp1-null phenotype. J Biol Chem. 2014 Aug 1; 289(31):21533-43.
- Chen S, Feng J, Zhang H, Jia M, Shen Y, Zong Z. Key role for the transcriptional factor, osterix, in spine development. Spine J. 2014 Apr; 14(4):683-94.
- Cao Z*, Zhang H* (*co-first authors), Zhou X, Han X, Ren Y, Gao T, Xiao Y, de Crombrugghe B, Somerman MJ, Feng JQ. Genetic evidence for the vital function of osterix in cementogenesis. J Bone Miner Res. 2012 May; 27(5): 1080-92.
- Sun Y, Chen L, Ma S, Zhou J, Zhang H, Feng JQ, Qin C. Roles of DMP1 processing in osteogenesis, dentinogenesis and chondrogenesis. Cells Tissues Organs. 2011; 194 (2-4): 199-204.
- Zhou X, Zhang Z, Feng JQ, Dusevich VM, Sinha K, Zhang H, Darnay BG, de Crombrugghe B. Multiple functions of osterix are required for bone growth and homeostasis in postnatal mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2010 Jul 20; 107(29); 12919-24.
- Zhang H, Tian Z, Wang J. Behavioral evaluation of transgenic mice with CNS expression of IFN-α by elevated plus-maze and Porsolt swim test. Neuroscience letters. 2010 Aug 2; 479(3):287-91.
- Wang J, Dunn AJ, Roberts AJ, Zhang H. Decreased immobility in swimming test by homologous interferon-alpha in mice accompanied with increased cerebral tryptophan level and serotonin turnover. Neuroscience letters. 2009, 452: 96-100.
- Wang J, Campbell IL, Zhang H. Systemic interferon-alpha directly regulates interferon-stimulated genes in the central nervous system. Molecular Psychiatry. 2008, 13 (3): 293-301.