Department of Biomedical Sciences
Member of the Texas A&M Graduate Faculty
3302 Gaston Ave.
Dallas, Texas 75246
Google Scholar Profile:
- Ph.D., Fourth Military Medical University (2003)
- Exchange Student, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Science (2001-2003)
- M.D.S., Fourth Military Medical University School of Dentistry, Xi'an, China (2000)
- B.D.S., Fourth Military Medical University School of Dentistry, Xi'an, China (1995)
- Associate Professor, with tenure, Texas A&M College of Dentistry (2019 - present)
- Assistant Professor, Texas A&M College of Dentistry (2017 - 2019)
- Research Assistant Professor, Baylor College of Dentistry/Texas A&M College of Dentistry (2012 - 2017)
- Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry (2008 -2012)
- Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Oral Biology, Ohio State University, College of Dentistry (2006- 2008)
- General Histology (Instructor)
- Technique in Cell & Molecular Biology (Course Director)
- Cell and Molecular Biology II (Course Director)
- Responsible Conduct in Biomedical Research (Instructor)
Dr. Wang's research focuses on biomedical and basic sciences. More specifically, he is interested in bone and tooth biology. Currently, his research projects include (1) The role of FAM20C kinase in enamel development; (2) The role of FAM20B kinase in bone and tooth development; (3) The role of a novel nuclear protein in bone and tooth development; and (4) Functional characterization of several novel genes in enamel and limb development.
These studies will bring new insights into the mechanism underlying the morphogenesis, matrix formation and mineralization in bone and tooth and provide molecular clues for therapeutic strategies for hard-tissue disease.
- NIH/NIDCR R01DE026461 (PI) 04/01/2017-03/31/2022
- NIH/NIDCR K02DE028345 (PI) 09/18/2018-08/31/2023
- NIH/NIDCR R03DE023873 (completed) (PI) 04/01/2014 - 03/31/2016
- TAMU-T3 (Co-PI) 04/01/2018-03/31/2020
- Yan W, Ma P, Tian Y, Wang J, Qin C, Feng JQ, Wang X. (2017) The importance of a potential phosphorylation site in enamelin on enamel formation. Int J Oral Sci. 9(11):e4
- Ma P, Yan W, Tian Y, He J, Brookes SJ, Wang X. (2016) The importance of serine phosphorylation of ameloblastin on enamel formation. J Dent Res. 95(12):1408-1414.
- Ma P, Yan W, Tian Y, Wang J, Feng JQ, Qin C, Cheng YS, Wang X. (2016) Inactivation of Fam20B in joint cartilage leads to chondrosarcoma and postnatal ossification defects. Sci Rep. 6:39814.
- Yang X, Yan W, Tian Y, Ma P, Opperman LA, Wang X. (2016) FAM20C is the primary but not the only kinase for the SIBLINGs in bone. FASEB J. 30(1):121-8.
- Tian Y, Ma P, Liu C, Yang X, Crawford D, Yan W, Bai D, Qin C, Wang X. (2015) Inactivation of Fam20B in the Dental Epithelium of Mice Leads to Supernumerary Incisors. Eur J Oral Sci. 123(6):396-402.
- Wang X, Wang J, Liu Y, Yuan B, Ruest LB, Feng JQ, Qin C. (2015) The Specific Role of FAM20C in Dentinogenesis. J Dent Res. 94(2):330-336.
- Wang X, Wang J, Yuan B, Lu Y, Feng JQ, Qin C. (2014). Overexpression of Dmp1 fails to rescue the bone and dentin defects in Fam20C knockout mice. Connect Tissue Res. 55(4):299-303.
- Wang X, Jung J, Liu Y, Yuan B, Lu Y, Feng JQ, Qin C. (2013) The specific role of FAM20C in amelogenesis. J Dent Res 92(11):995-999.
- Wang X, Wang S, Lu Y, Gibson MP, Liu Y, Yuan B, Feng JQ, Qin C. (2012) FAM20C plays an essential role in the formation of murine teeth. J Biol Chem 287(43):35934-35942.
- Wang X, Wang S, Li C, Gao T, Liu Y, Rangiani A, Sun Y, Hao J, George A, Lu Y, Groppe J, Yuan B, Feng J, Qin C. (2012) Inactivation of a novel FGF23 regulator, FAM20C, leads to hypophosphatemic rickets in mice. PLoS Genetics 8(5): e1002708. (Cover story of May issue)
- Wang X, Hao J, Xie Y, Sun Y, Hernanderz B, Yamoah A, Prasad M, Zhu Q, Feng JQ, Qin C. (2010) Expression of FAM20C in the Osteogenesis and Odontogenesis of Mouse. J Histochem Cytochem 58(11):957-967.
- Wang X, Liu J, Zhang H, Xiao M, Li J, Yang C, Lin X, Wu Z, Hu L, Kong X. (2003) Novel mutations in the IRF6 gene for Van der Woude syndrome. Human Genetics 113(5):382- 386
Complete list of published work in MyBibliography:
- Basic Research Award (TAMUCOD, 2019)
- Featured Symposium for Press Release (Organizer & Chair, 2018 AADR)
- Editorial Board of Scientific Reports (since 2018)
- Editorial Board of PLoS One (since 2018)
- Editorial Board of Oral Diseases (since 2018)
- Abstract Reviewer of ASBMR Annual Meeting (since 2018)
- Abstract Reviewer of AADR/IADR Annual Meeting (since 2017)
- Ad Hoc Reviewer of NIDCR DSR Study Section (since 2016)
- Harold M. Frost Young Investigator Award (2013 ASBMR)
- Scientific Advisory Board of Journal of Endodontics (since 2013)
- International Reviewer of Hong Kong Research Grant Council (since 2013)
- Ad Hoc Reviewer of 13 Scientific Journals (since 2012)
Recognition of Students/Postdocs
- ASBMR Young Investigator Award (Dong Yang, 2019 ASBMR Annual Meeting)
- Invited Oral Presentation (Jingyi Wu, 2018 Bones & Teeth Gordon Conference)
- Finalist of Hatton Competition (Tianyu Sun, 2018 AADR)
- 1st place of Bernard Sarnat Awards (Ye Tian, 2016 IADR)
- 1st place of Dental Student Oral Presentation (Derrick M. Crawford, 2016 AADR)