POSTDOCTORAL TRAINING AND ACADEMIC DEGREES
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP
University of Michigan Department of Pathology under the direction of Dr. Peter A. Ward, Ann Arbor, MI. October 2001-April 2006.
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY, Pharmaceutical Sciences with specialization in Pharmacology and Toxicology under the direction of Dr. Karam F. A. Soliman, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU), Tallahassee, FL. August 2001.
BACHELOR OF ARTS, Chemistry, Converse College, Spartanburg, SC. May 1985. Minor: Biology.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
DIRECTOR, INSTRUCTIONAL EFFECTIVENESS, Academic Affairs, Texas A & M University College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas. Provides vision and leadership for Curriculum Development and Delivery to enhance student learning. Supports innovation in instructional design and interprofessional education to improve student outcomes. Classroom Pedagogy to improve student learning. July 2017-present.
INSTRUCTIONAL ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Texas A & M University College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas. Courses Taught: 6870 Physiology, 5214 Clinical Pharmacology (Graduate), 7290 Dental Pharmacology, 8380 Medical Pharmacology, 9110 Applied Pharmacology. Course Director for 7290 Dental Pharmacology, 8380 Medical Pharmacology, 9110 Applied Pharmacology and 5214 Clinical Pharmacology, July 2017-present.
CLINICAL ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR and FOUNDING FACULTY MEMBER, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville (USCSOMG)/Greenville Hospital System University Medical Center, Greenville, South Carolina. Curriculum Development and Current Pharmacology Instruction in M2 modules: Biomedical Principles (Course Director, 2013-4), Mind, Brain and Behavior; GI/Hepatic and EndoGynBreast. Instruction in M1 Modules: Molecular and Cellular Foundations of Medicine (2012), Structure and Function (2012-2013), Neuroscience (2013-present), Defenses and Responses (2013-present). September 2011-July 2017.
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Baylor College of Dentistry/Texas A & M University System Health Science Center, Dallas, Texas. Courses Taught: 3440 Dental Hygiene Biomedical Sciences II, 5214 Clinical Pharmacology (Graduate), 7290 Dental Pharmacology, 8380 Medical Pharmacology, 9110 Applied Pharmacology. Course Director for 8380 Medical Pharmacology, 9110 Applied Pharmacology, August 2006-2009. Course Director for all Baylor Pharmacology Courses. May 2009-August 2011.
INSTRUCTOR AND CURRICULUM ADVISOR, Stanley H. Kaplan Education Center, Tallahassee, Florida and Ann Arbor, Michigan. Assisted with revisions for the MCAT Organic Chemistry and Biology lessons. Instructor in Organic Chemistry, Biology, Verbal Reasoning and Math for the DAT/OAT preparatory courses. Instructor for MCAT Biology, Organic Chemistry, and Orgo Edge, an introductory course in Organic Chemistry concepts. December 1996-December 2005.
RESEARCH/TEACHING ASSISTANT, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, Tallahassee, Florida. Lecturer in Pharmacology. Taught basic pharmacological principles to fourth-year pre-pharmacy and graduate students. Spring 2000. Taught molecular biology techniques to pre-pharmacy students. Tutored pre-pharmacy students in Organic Chemistry. Trained undergraduate students in routine cell biology and molecular techniques. September 1993-August 2001.
FIELD TECHNICAL REPRESENTATIVE, Ortho Diagnostic Systems, Inc. Raritan, New Jersey. Provided technical support for the 1992 HCV 2.0 launch in national blood banks, clinical labs, and the American Red Cross. Installed and inspected the instrumentation and software for the HCV 2.0 ELISA test system. Trained lab personnel in software and instrumentation usage. Validated software for FDA inspection and provided troubleshooting assistance for technical difficulties. February 1992-June 1993.
BIOLOGIST, Neuroimmunology Branch, The National Institute of Neurological Disease and Stroke, National Institutes of Health. Bethesda, MD. Studied retroviral (HTLV-I, HTLV-II) involvement in Multiple Sclerosis, Tropical Spastic Paraparesis, and related neurological diseases. Assessed immune cell surface expression and growth using immunofluorescence and cytofluorography and radioisotope incorporation. Evaluated retroviral protein expression using PCR, Restriction Fragment Polymorphism, Western blots, and Radiolabeled probes. Purified and sequenced retroviral nuclear proteins. Established long-term human CTL, T-cell and B-cell lines for use in cytotoxic lymphocyte and experimental drug assays. December 1987-December 1990.
RESEARCH TRAINEE, Miami VA Medical Center, Miami, FL. Research. Investigated the regulation of inositol monophosphatase activity by changes in osmolality and changes in cell volume in primary astrocyte and C6 glioma cultures. Techniques used include Northern Blot, Lowry protein assay, inositol transport and various kinetic assays. August 1996-February 1998.
SUMMER INTERNSHIP, 3M, Saint Paul, MN. Assisted in the development of an in vitro test to screen new adhesives for skin irritation and inflammation. Established primary keratinocyte cultures and tested for the presence of inflammatory cytokines using ELISA and RT-PCR. Summer 1995.
SUMMER INTERNSHIP, Parke Davis, Ann Arbor, MI. Incubated tumor cells with p53 antisense to induce apoptosis and understand its mechanisms. Used flow cytometry and gel electrophoresis to assess the percentage of apoptotic cells and monitor DNA integrity. Summer 1994.
LABORATORY ROTATION, Spartanburg General Hospital, Spartanburg, SC. Observation in clinical chemistry, hematology, and pathology labs. Converse College Winter Term, 1985.
CLINICAL ROTATION, Massachusetts Ear and Eye Infirmary and General Hospital, Boston, MA. Observation in conjunction with the Harvard University Program for students interested in the Health Sciences. Summer 1984.
LECTIN RESEARCH, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC. Performed hemagglutinin assays and SDS-PAGE to characterize erythrocyte glycoproteins. Summer 1983.
PUBLICATIONS (peer reviewed)
- Mediators of Lung Inflammation: Role of Reactive Oxygen and Nitrogen Species. Reuben J, Guo RF and Ward PA. Oxygen and Nitrogen Radicals: Lung Injury and Disease v187 Apr 2004.
- Immunological and Virological Studies in HAM/TSP. McFarlin D, Gupta A, Mattson D, Harris J, Reuben J, and Jacobson S. Human Retrovirology, Raven Press 1990.
- Spontaneous Lymphocyte Proliferation in Elevated Asymptomatic HTLV-I-positive Jamaicans. Kramer A, Jacobson S, Reuben J, and Murphy E. Human Retrovirology, Raven Press 1990.
- The Role of Religion: Cultural and Contextual Influences in Mental Health among African American Youth. Peterson E, Reuben J, Njinimbam DJ and Holder SM (in revision)
- Zoledronic acid enhances proteasome-mediated degradation of Suppressor of Cytokine Signaling 3 (SOCS3). Vu W, Ruest LB, Adesanya P, Stinson C and Reuben JS. (in revision)
- Diallyl disulfide inhibits TNFalpha- induced CCL2 release through MAPK/ERK and NF-Kappa-B signaling in MDA-MB-231 cells. Bauer D, Redmon N, Mazzio E, Taka E, Reuben JS, Day A, Sadrud-Din S, Flores-Rozas H, Soliman KF and Darling-Reed S. CYTOKINE 2015 Sep;75(1):117-26. Epub 2015 Jun 20.
- The attenuation of benzo(a)pyrene-induced carcinogenic insults by diallyl disulfide (DADS) in MCF-10A cells. Nkrumah-Elie YM, Hudson A, Taka E, Badisa R, Ardley T, Israel B, Bauer D Gallimore SS, Sadrud-Din SY, Oriaku E, Reuben JS and Darling-Reed SF Nutrition and Cancer Nutr Cancer. 2012;64(7):1112-21.
- Reduced GABAA receptor α6 expression in the trigeminal ganglion alters inflammatory TMJ Hypersensitivity. Puri J, Vinothini P, Reuben J, Bellinger LL, Ailing L, Peng YB, Kramer PR. Neuroscience. 2012 Jun 28;213:179-90.
- Diallyl trisulfide as an inhibitor of benzo(a)pyrene-induced precancerous carcinogenesis in MCF-10A cells. Nkrumah-Elie YM, Reuben JS, Hudson A, Taka E, Badisa R, Ardley T, Israel B, Sadrud-Din SY, Oriaku E, Darling-Reed SF. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012 Jul;50(7):2524-30.
- Zoledronic acid inhibits macrophage SOCS3 expression and enhances cytokine production. Scheller EL, Hankenson KD, Reuben JS, Krebsbach PH. J Cell Biochem. 2011 112(11):3364-72.
- Bisphosphonates inhibit phosphorylation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 and expression of suppressor of cytokine signaling 3: implications for their effects on innate immune function and osteoclastogenesis. Reuben JS, Dinh L, Lee J, Stateson J, Kamara H, Xiang L, Opperman LA. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontics 2011 Feb;111(2):196-204.
- PI3K limits TNF-alpha production in CD16-activated monocytes. Kramer PR, Winger V and Reuben J. Eur J Immunology 2009 Feb;39(2):561-70.
- Acute Lung Injury: Apoptosis and Signaling Mechanisms. Chopra M, Reuben JS, and Sharma AC. Experimental Biology and Medicine 2009 Apr;234(4):361-71.
- Ability of Anti-oxidant Liposomes to Prevent Acute and Progressive Pulmonary Injury. Hoesel LM, Flierl MA, Niederbichler AD, Rittirsch D, McClintock SD, Reuben JS, Pianko MJ, William Stone W, Yang H, Milton Smith M, and Ward PA. Antioxidants and Redox Signaling 2008 May;10(5):973-81.
- Divergent Signaling pathways in phagocytic cells during sepsis. Guo RF, Reidemann NC, Sun L, Gao H, Shi KX, Reuben JS, Sarma VJ, Zetoune FS and Ward PA. J Immunol 2006 Jul 15;177(2):1306-13.
- Selectin inhibition modulates Akt/MAPK signaling and chemokine expression after liver ischemia-reperfusion. Toledo-Pereyra LH, Lopez-Neblina F, Reuben JS, Toledo AH, Ward PA. J Invest Surg. 2004 Nov-Dec;17(6):303-13.
- Exogenous nitric oxide donor and related compounds protect against lung inflammatory response after hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation. Anaya-Prado R, Toledo-Pereyra LH, Walsh J, Guo RF, Reuben J, Ward PA. J Trauma. 2004 Nov;57(5):980-8.
- Stat3 activation in acute lung injury. Gao H, Guo RF, Speyer CL, Reuben J, Neff TA, Hoesel LM, Riedemann NC, McClintock SD, Sarma JV, Van Rooijen N, Zetoune FS, Ward PA. J Immunol. 2004 Jun 15;172(12):7703-12.
- Regulatory role of C5a in LPS-induced IL-6 production by neutrophils during sepsis.
- Riedemann NC, Guo RF, Hollmann TJ, Gao H, Neff TA, Reuben JS, Speyer CL, Sarma JV, Wetsel RA, Zetoune FS, Ward PA. FASEB J. 2004 Feb;18(2):370-2.
- Regulation by C5a of neutrophil activation during sepsis. Riedemann NC, Guo RF, Bernacki KD, Reuben JS, Laudes IJ, Neff TA, Gao H, Speyer C, Sarma VJ, Zetoune FS, Ward PA. Immunity. 2003 Aug;19(2):193-202.
- The attenuation of hemorrhage-induced liver injury by exogenous nitric oxide, L-arginine, and inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase. Anaya-Prado R, Toledo-Pereyra LH, Guo RF, Reuben J, Ward PA, Walsh J. J Invest Surg. 2003 Sep-Oct;16(5):247-61.
- Neutrophil C5a receptor and the outcome in a rat model of sepsis. Guo RF, Riedemann NC, Bernacki KD, Sarma VJ, Laudes IJ, Reuben JS, Younkin EM, Neff TA, Paulauskis JD, Zetoune FS, Ward PA. FASEB J. 2003 Oct;17(13):1889-91.
- Induction of Apoptosis by S-Adenosyl-Methionine in PC12 Cells. Zhao W, Shepherd K, Reuben J, Lee E, Darling-Reed S, Lamango N, Soliman K and Charlton C. J Neurosci Res. 2002 Aug 15;69(4):519-29.
- The Role of Inducible Nitric Oxide in Cocaine-induced Kindling. Park K, Reuben J, and Soliman K. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2001 Mar 226(3): 185-90.
- Effect of Dibutyryl cyclic AMP on the kinetics of myo-Inositol transport in cultured astrocytes. Isaacks R, Bender A, Reuben J, Kim C, Shi Y, and Norenberg M. Journal of Neurochemistry 1999 July 73(1): 105-110.
- Induction of CD4+, human T-lymphotrophic virus type-1-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocytes from patients with HAM/TSP. Recognition of an immunogenic region of the gp46 envelope glycoprotein of human T-lymphotrophic virus type-1. Jacobson S, Reuben J, Streilein R, and Palker T. Journal of Immunology, 1991 Feb 15, 146(4): 1155-62.
- Spontaneous Lymphocyte proliferation in HTLV-II infection. Wiktor S, Jacobson S, Weiss S, Shaw G, Reuben J, Shorty V, McFarlin D and Blattner W. Lancet 1991 Feb 9; 337(8737):327-8.
- Spontaneous Lymphocyte Proliferation in symptom-free HTLV-I positive Jamaicans (letter), Kramer A, Jacobson S, Reuben J, Murphy E, Wiktor S, Cranston B, Figueroa J, Hanchard B, McFarlin D, and Blattner W. Lancet 1989 Oct. 14, 2(8668): 923-4.
- Faulkner R, McNair M, Hernandez A, Gracia D and Reuben J. Improving Patient Outcomes by Impacting Patient Experience: Combating Health Illiteracy. The Mitchell Wolfson Sr. Department of Community Service Community Health Leadership Conference, Miami, FL. March 2017.
- Darling-Reed SF, Nkrumah-Elie Y, Hudson A, Flores-Rozas H, Jett M, Hammamieh R, Day A, Oriaku E, and Reuben JS. Alterations in Benzo(a)pyrene induced DNA damage via Organosulfide Compounds in MCF-10A cells. FASEB J April 9, 2013 27:1104.7
- Roudebush WE, Callihan CP, Hamilton M, See AG, Reuben JS. Effect of drugs and homeopathic remedies on semen parameters. Proceedings of the American Association of Bioanalyst’s Educational Conference and College of Reproductive Biology Symposium, Las Vegas, NV, 2013:61-74.
- Zoledronic Acid enhances proteasome-mediated degradation of SOCS3. Vu W, Johnson CP, Adesanya P, Ruest LB and Reuben J. AADR 2012 (student oral presentation)
- Effect of LPS and Zoledronic Acid on Osteoactivin Levels. Dinh L, Vu W, Deljavan N, and Reuben J. AADR 2011 (student oral presentation)
- Bisphosphonates inhibit SOCS3 expression in macrophages and oral epithelium. Scheller E, Song J, Hankenson K, Edwards P, Reuben J and Krebsbach P. AADR 2011 (student oral presentation)
- Modulating the GABA (A) α6 receptor subunit alters the TMJ nociceptive response. Puri J, Bellinger L, Reuben J and Kramer P. Society for Neuroscience 2010. (student oral presentation)
- Bisphosphates inhibit Leptin-Induced SOCS3 expression. Palos E, Vanderbrook D, Puri J, Xiang L and Reuben J. AADR 2010. (student oral presentation)
- Pamidronate enhances NPY-Y1 Receptor expression and NPY-induced Caspase 3 cleavage. Vanderbrook D, Palos E, Puri J, Xiang L and Reuben J. AADR 2010. (Reuben: session co-chair)
- Effect of Bisphosphonates on HMGB1 and RAGE in macrophages. Lee J, Dinh L, Stateson J, Puri J, Xiang L and Reuben J. AADR/IADR 2009. (student oral presentation)
- Effect of Bisphosphonates on C5aR and C3aR in macrophages. Stateson J, Lee J, Dinh L, Puri J, Xiang L and Reuben J. AADR/ IADR 2009 (student oral presentation)
- Effect of Bisphosphonates on SOCS3 in macrophages. Dinh L, Lee J, Stateson J, Puri J, Xiang L and Reuben J. AADR/IADR 2009 (student oral presentation and committee chair)
- Type IX collagen protein in human periodontal ligament. Taylor, RW, Biggs, K and Reuben JS. AADR/ IADR 2009 (student poster presentation)
- Estrogen Effects on Signaling in Trigeminal Ganglion during TMJ Inflammation. Kamara H, Stateson J, Puri J, and Reuben J, AADR March 2008. (student poster presentation)
- Upregulation of C5aR Expression during TMJ Inflammation. Stateson J, Kamara H, Puri J, and Reuben J, AADR March 2008. (student poster presentation)
- Type IX collagen distribution in human periodontal ligament. Davis, L, Taylor, RW and Reuben JS. AADR 2008. (student poster presentation)
- NGF modulates MIP-2 production in alveolar macrophages via MAPK. Reuben JS, Baugh BC, McClintock SD, Olle EW, Mulligan MS, Ward PA. FASEB Neuro-Immune Interactions Summer Conference 2006 (oral presentation)
- Increased NGF during Lung Ischemia and Reperfusion and its Effect on MIP-2 production by Alveolar Macrophages. JS Reuben, BC Baugh, MS Mulligan and PA Ward. Experimental Biology, April 2006 (oral presentation)
- Inflammatory Mediator Expression in the Contralateral Lung following Left Lung Ischemia and Reperfusion. JS Reuben, BC Baugh, MS Mulligan and PA Ward. Experimental Biology, April 2005 (oral presentation)
- Alteration of inflammatory and apoptotic mediator expression during lung ischemia and reperfusion. JS Reuben, RF Guo, B Naidu, MS Mulligan and PA Ward. Experimental Biology, April 2003.
- Multiple Selectin Blockade decreases Chemokine Production during Liver Ischemia and Reperfusion. BC Baugh, JS Reuben, L Toledo-Pereyra, F Lopez and PA Ward. Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program, Spring Research Symposium 2004, ABRCMS, Fall 2004.
- Anisoosmotic Stress Modulates Nitric Oxide Production in Neural and Glial Cells. J Reuben, A Brown, S Darling-Reed and K Soliman. Experimental Biology, March 2001.
- Hyperosmotic Stress potentiates Nitric Oxide production in C6 Glioma cells. J Reuben, A Brown, S Darling-Reed, and K Soliman. National Minority Research Symposium, November 2000.
- Effect of Cocaine Exposure Stimulates Nitric Oxide Production in a C6 Glial Cell Line. S Darling-Reed, J Reuben and K Soliman. National Minority Research Symposium, November 2000.
- The Effect of Zinc on Spatial Navigation and Memory in Male Sprague Dawley Rats. T Turner, J Reuben, and M Soliman. American Society for Neurochemistry, March 1999.
- Effect of Cocaine and NMDA on Nitric Oxide Synthase Activity in Branched PC12 cells. S Darling-Reed, E Mazzio, J Huber, J Reuben, and K. Soliman. American Society for Neurochemistry (ASN), March 1999.
- Co-Regulation of myo-Inositol level by Alterations in Transport and Inositol monophosphatase mRNA Expression in Astrocytes during Chronic Osmotic Stress. J Reuben, K Soliman, and R Isaacks. Society for Neuroscience, November 1998.
- Lithium Alters myo-Inositol Transport in Normal and Dibutyryl Cyclic AMP-Treated Astrocyte Cultures. J Reuben, K Soliman, C Kim, and R Isaacks. ASN, March 1998.
- Effect of Dibutyryl Cyclic AMP Treatment of Astrocytes on Kinetics of myo-Inositol Transport. R Isaacks, A Bender, J Reuben and M Norenberg. ASN, March 1998.
- Osmotic Regulation of Inositol Monophosphatase. J Reuben, R Isaacks, Y Shi, and K Soliman. National Minority Research Symposium, October 1997.
Education, Diversity and Career Development Abstracts, Articles and Presentations
- Implementation and outcome of a self-directed interactive learning based upon clinical cases in the medical neuroscience curriculum. Nathaniel T, Williams JA, Gainey J, Stewart B, Hood M, Faulkner R, Pendergrass P, Black L, Griffin S, Troup C, Buggy J, Black A, and Reuben J. Medical Science Educator. Anat Sci Educ. 2017 Dec 18. doi: 10.1002/ase.1759. [Epub ahead of print]
- At the Table Talk: Finding Common Language to Negotiate through Difference. Soto M and Reuben J. American Association of Hispanics in Higher Education National Conference, March 2017, Irvine, CA.
- Application of Active Learning Methodologies for Integrating Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics, and Pharmacogenetics Into a First-Year Medical School Module. Peffley D, Reuben J, Wolff D and Farrell C. IAMSE Poster Presentation, June 2016, Leiden, Netherlands.
- Developing a discipline-based problem solving set for one medical science for broader application. Theobald R, Reuben J and Peffley D. International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE) Focus Session, June 2016, Leiden, Netherlands.
- Integrating Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics, and Pharmacogenomics into a First-year Medical School Foundational Module Using Active Learning Methodologies. (Poster Presentation) Peffley D, Reuben J, Wolff D and Farrell C. EB 2016
- Patient-Oriented Problem Solving Exercises (POPS) Diabetes Pharmacology Revision. Jayne S Reuben. EB2016 (Oral Presentation).
- Pharmacologists: Leading the Prescription for Change in Medical Education. Invited Keynote Speaker, ASPET Diversity Breakfast. Jayne S. Reuben. EB 2015.
- Opportunities in STEM/STEAM and Global Health, Session Organizer/Moderator. Pan-African Enterprise Research Council, October 2015. Atlanta, GA.
- Achieving student diversity in dental schools: a model that works. Lacy E, McAnn A, Miller B, Solomon E and Reuben JS. J Dent Educ. 2012 May; 76(5):523-33.
- Retention of Underrepresented Minority Students in Dental School. Lacy ES, McCann AL, Miller BH, Solomon E, Reuben JS. J Am Coll Dent 2011 Winter 78(4):40-47.
- Preparing Graduate Students and Postdocs: A Model Program. Butts C and Reuben J. ASBMB Today. July 2007.
INNOVATIVE EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS DEVELOPED
- Pharmacology Jeopardy Games using Bloom’s Taxonomy for M1 and M2 modules: Biomedical Principles of Infectious Disease and Therapy (BPIDT), EndoGynBreast, Mind Brain and Behavior, GI/Hepatic, Defenses and Responses Modules. 2016.
- Patient-Oriented Problem Solving Exercises (POPS) Diabetes Pharmacology Revision. EB2016 Peer-Reviewed.
- Innate Immune Rap with M2 Student Garrett Rushing for the M1 Defenses and Responses Module, 2015.
- Self-Learning Modules (SLMs): Medications used for Multiple Sclerosis, Introduction to Antimicrobial Pharmacology (3 SLMs) 2015.
INVITED PRESENTATIONS: PHARMACOLOGY EDUCATION AND CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT
- Assessment Drives Learning. North Carolina A & T University Faculty Development Workshop. March, 2017
- Autonomic Pharmacology, Invited Guest Lecturer, Texas A & M College of Dentistry, October 2016.
- Medications affecting Bone and Dental Health in Older Patients. CME Course, PMPDA Annual Meeting, Columbia, SC, April 2015.
- Bisphosphonates inhibit phosphorylation of STAT3 and SOCS3 protein: Implications for their effects on innate immune function and osteoclastogenesis. RCMI Seminar Speaker Series, Florida A & M University College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, October 2014.
- Using Small Group Case Studies to teach Pharmacotherapeutics for a Diverse World, Experimental Biology (EB). March 2015. Co-Organizer and Speaker. ASPET Division for Pharmacology Education (DPE).
- Lessons Learned from STEM/Biomedical Lessons Learned from STEM/Biomedical Sciences Interdisciplinary Initiatives. Duke University PhD Pipeline Program. September, 2014.
- New Medications and Pharmacovigilance. National Dental Association Annual Meeting, July 2011.
- New Medications and Pharmacovigilance. Oklahoma City Area Annual Dental Meeting. June 2010.
- Neurobiology of Nicotine Abuse. Comprehensive Tobacco Prevention Network Consensus Conference on Minority Tobacco Intervention. March 2010.
- Pharmacology: New Drugs. National Oral Health Primary Care Conference, March 2008.
PRESENTATIONS: CAREER DEVELOPMENT AND DIVERSITY WORKSHOPS
- Bridging the Gap: Supporting the Academic Success of Nontraditional / Community College Students at 4-Year Institutions. ABRCMS 2017.
- Applying to College. Urban League of the Upstate Level Up program. September 2016. Invited Speaker.
- Organizer /Presenter, Opportunities in STEM/STEAM and Global Health. Third Pan-African Enterprise Research Council International Conference. September 2015.
- Organizer and Presenter, Gateways to Success in STEM. American Association of Blacks in Higher Education (AABHE) April 2015.
- Do Do’s and Don’ts of Graduate and Professional School Admissions, Converse College, October 2013-present.
- Co-Organizer and Speaker: 15th Annual ASIP/AAA Career Development & Mentoring Program and Lunch: Fundamentals of Success: How to Give an Award Winning Presentation. Experimental Biology (EB), March 2015.
- Taking Responsibility for your Learning, AAW@GHS meeting, August 2014. Invited Speaker.
- Beyond the Job Offer: Exploring the Art of Effective Negotiation. Experimental Biology (EB) April 2014. Invited Speaker.
- Career Opportunities Beyond the Bench: Education as a Viable Path. Experimental Biology (EB) April 2014. Organizer and Co-Chair.
- Guilty until Proven INNOCENT: Scientific Integrity and Getting Published! Experimental Biology (EB) April 2014. Organizer and Co-Chair.
- Invited Speaker and Panelist, Returning to School. University of Michigan Women of Color Task Force Career Conference, March 2013 and 2014.
- Panel Moderator, Graduate School Experience: A Personal Story. ABRCMS, November 2013.
- Invited Speaker, MARC U-STAR/RISE Speaker Series, Savannah State University, February 2013.
- Invited Speaker, Gateway to the Future-Career Paths in Biomedical Sciences, STEM Disciplines and Behavioral Sciences. Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS), 2012.
- Co-Chair, How to Write Award Winning Grants. Experimental Biology (EB) April 2012.
- Keynote Speaker, Science in Action Week, Morris College, February 2012.
- Panel Moderator, Graduate School Experience: A Personal Story. ABRCMS, November 2011.
- Invited Speaker, Science Forum, Converse College. October 2011-2014.
- Facilitator, Giving Oral and Poster Presentations. Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS), November 2011-2012.
- Co-Chair, How to give Great Presentations, Experimental Biology (EB) April 2011.
- Invited Speaker and Moderator, Opportunities for a Successful Postdoctoral Experience, ABRCMS, November 2010.
- Co-Chair, Non-traditional Career Opportunities in Pathology. EB, April 2010.
- Co-Chair, Winning in the Granting Process-ASIP, Pathology EB 2009.
- Presenter, Test-Taking Strategies. University of Michigan Women of Color Task Force Career Conference. 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Co-Organizer and Speaker, FASEB Postdoctoral Preparation Institute, EB 2007.
- New Leadership Academy, University of Michigan National Center for Institutional Diversity (NCID), June 2016.
- Games-Based Learning in Health Profession Education. IAMSE, June 2016, Leiden, Netherlands.
- 2016 Teaching Institute: Developing Mentees Using IDPs. ASPET, Experimental Biology April, 2016, San Diego, CA.
- A Pharmacokinetics Primer: From Equations to Application. ASPET, Experimental Biology, April 2016, San Diego, CA.
- Workshop Participant, Entering Mentoring-based Research Mentor Training for Peer/Faculty Mentors, 90-min seminar. Experimental Biology 2016, San Diego, CA. Facilitators: Drs. Cheri Barta and Kelly Diggs-Andrews.
- Participant, AAMC Mid-Career Minority Faculty Leadership Seminar, September 2015. Atlanta, GA.
- Applying the Neuroscience of Learning to Designing Effective Learning Experiences. IAMSE, June 2015, San Diego, CA.
- Writing Better Learning Objectives and Complementary Exam Questions. IAMSE June 2015, San Diego, CA.
- Writing More Effective MCQS Using Patient Vignettes. IAMSE, June 2014, Nashville, TN.
- Invited Participant, Learning Interventions: Understanding Research Techniques to Study Student Interventions. American Society for Microbiology, 2009.
- Attendee, 2009 TAMHSC Faculty Development Workshop on Pedagogy: Teaching and Learning Strategies for Today’s Students.
GRANTS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- TAMUCOD Educational Research Grant, 2018. $5000.
- TAMHSC Research Development Grant, 2006-2008. $15,000
- UNCF/MERCK Postdoctoral Science Research Fellowship, 2002-2003. $70,000
- American Foundation of Pharmaceutical Education Fellowship, 1996-1999. $18,000
- Faculty Development Scholarship, Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University, 1995-1996. $12,000
- Delores A. Auzenne Scholarship, Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University, 1994-1997. $9,000
VOLUNTEER WORK/COMMUNITY SERVICE
- Member, South Dallas Business and Professional Women’s Clubs, Inc. (SDBPWC) 2017-present.
- Mentor, Fostering Great Ideas, Greenville 2015-2017.
- Faculty Mentor, FASEB/MARC Program, ABRCMS, 2009-present.
- South Dallas Business and Professional Women’s Clubs, Inc. (SDBPWC) 2006-2011. Corresponding Secretary and Newsletter Editor, 2009-2012.
- Board Member/Scholarship Director, Quality of Life/Back-to-School Foundation, 2004-2006.
- Peer Mentor, FASEB/MARC Program, Experimental Biology 2003- 2009.
- Math/Science Instructor, SBCAA Academic Enrichment/MEAP program, 2003-2006.
- Mentor, University of Michigan Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program, 2003-2005.