Department of Biomedical Sciences
Texas A&M College of Dentistry
Dallas, TX 75246
Education and Post-Graduate Training
- University of North Texas Health Science Center, Ph.D.
Pharmacology and Neuroscience (2009)
- Jackson State University, Jackson, M.S., M.S. Biology (2003)
- Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans, LA, B.S. Biology (2000)
- Instructional Assistant Professor ( 2017 – present)
- Assistant Research Scientist at Texas A&M College of Dentistry (October 2014 – July 2017)
- Senior Postdoctoral Research Associate at Texas A&M Health Science Center/
- Baylor College of Dentistry (July, 2012 – December 2013)
Current Professional Experience
- Co-directs a preclinical NIDCR award entitled “Mechanism of ephrin signaling in mammalian palatal fusion”
- Teaches Pharmacology to the D2 and D-4 dental students and the residents.
- Teaches general Histology (Nerve and Endocrine and all labs)
- Course Director – Introduction to the Human Body, Summer Pre-Dental Enrichment Program
- Teaching Faculty – Neuroscience
Honors and Awards
- Howard Hughes Biomedical Scholar (1996 – 2000)
- Howard Hughes Biomedical “Superstar” (1997-2000)
- Who’s Who among Students in American Universities and Colleges (1996-97)
- Teacher of the Summer Pre-Dental Enrichment Program Collegiate II (2017)
- NIH Future Research Leaders Conference Participant (2016)
- Research Scientist: 1R01DE022804-01A1 “Mechanism of Ephrin-B2 in sensory Afferent Plasticity”; Benson (PI); 07/01/14-03/31/19
- Postdoctoral Research Associate: Ephrin Inhibition of Regeneration after Spinal Cord Injury
- Christopher Reeve Foundation (/2003 – 2014)
- Logan SM., Cameron J.A., Vig P.J. Calmodulin activity in aging rat heart. Biomedical Sciences Instrumentation 39:561-566, 2003.
- Saumyendra N. Sarkar SN; Ren Q Z, Logan SM, Kun Yi.D, Dillon GH, Simpkins JW; Estrogens directly potentiate neuronal L-type Ca2 vhannrld Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 105:15148-15153, 2008.
- SarkarSN, Zhang Z, Lonell ST, Logan SM Simpkins JW. Estrogen-induced signaling attenuates soluble Aβ peptide-mediated dysfunction of pathways in synaptic plasticity. Brain Research 1383: 1-12; 2011.
- Logan SM, Romero MI.,Nguyen DH, and M.D Benson MD; Ephrin B2 expression in the proprioceptive sensory system. Neuroscience Letters; Logan SM, Sarker SN, Zhang X, Simpkins JW. Estrogen-induced activation signal-regulated kinase signaling triggers dendritic resident mRNA translation. Neuroscience170, 1080-85, 2010.