Postdoctoral Fellowship, Biologic and Materials Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI (2002-2010)
Ph.D., Polymer Chemistry, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (2002)
B.E., Chemical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (1997)
Associate Professor, Texas A&M College of Dentistry (2016 - present)
Assistant Professor, Baylor College of Dentistry/Texas A&M College of Dentistry (2010 - 2016)
Nano-Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine (Course Director)
Cell and Molecular Biology of Oral and Craniofacial Tissues II (Co-Course Director)
Each year millions of people suffer from tissue loss or organ failure, which costs billions of dollars for health care. Tissue engineering offers a promising approach for new tissue and organ regeneration. Canonical tissue engineering strategy includes cells, bioactive molecules, and scaffolds. A scaffold is an artificial extracellular matrix (ECM) and plays a crucial role to guide cell adhesion, proliferation, differentiation and tissue formation. However, one of the major challenges in tissue engineering is to develop cell-inductive scaffolding biomaterials that provide the desirable microenvironment to promote neo tissue regeneration.
The research in my lab focuses on the development of new biomaterials and technologies for tissue regeneration. Specifically, we are interested in 1) Design and synthesis of new biomaterials and controlled drug delivery; 2) Development of injectable scaffolding systems; 3) Exploration of cell-matrix interactions in 3D; and 4) Regeneration of dental and craniofacial tissues.
NIH/NIDCR DE024979 Liu (PI) 7/1/2016 - 6/30/2021
NIH/NIDCR DE22838 Liu (PI) 6/1/2013 - 5/31/2016
NIH/NIDCR DE024343 (completed) Liu (PI) 8/5/2014 - 6/31/2015
TAMU-Weizmann Collaborative Program (Israel) Liu (PI) 9/1/2012 - 8/31/2016
TAMU - NSFC Research Grant (China)(completed) Liu (PI) 9/1/2013 - 12/31/2015
B-BEST Intramural Research Grant (completed) Liu (PI) 10/1/2010 - 9/30/2013
- Li X, Ma C, Xie X, Sun H, and Liu X. "Pulp regeneration in a full-length human tooth root using a hierarchical nanofibrous microsphere system" Acta Biomaterialia 2016, 35:57-67, PMID: 26931056.
- Chen F and Liu X. "Advancing biomaterials of human origin for tissue engineering" Progress in Polymer Science, 2016 53:86-168, PMCID: PMC4808059.
- Chang X, Tian Y, Zhao C, Qu T, Ma C, Liu X, and Yu Q. "Bactericidal effect of strong acid electrolyzed water against flow Enterococcus faecalis biofilms" Journal of Endodontics 2016 42:1120-1125, PMID: 27208991.
- Ma C, Jing Y, Sun H, and Liu X. "Hierarchical nanofibrous microsphere with controlled growth factor delivery for bone regeneration" Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2015, 4: 2699-2708, PMCID: PMC4715540
- Qu T, Jing J, Ren Y, Ma C, Feng J, Yu Q, and Liu X. "Complete pulpodentin complex regeneration by modulating the stiffness of biomimetic matrix" Acta Biomaterialia, 2015, 16: 60-70, NIHMS ID: NIHMS 661877.
- Li Z, Qu T, Ding C, Ma C, Sun H, Li S, and Liu X. “Injectable gelatin derivative hydrogels with sustained vascular endothelial growth factor release for induced angiogenesis” Acta Biomaterialia 2015, 13:88-100. PMCID: PMC4293253.
- Qu T, Jing J, Jiang Y, Taylor RJ, Feng JQ, Geiger B, Liu X. "Magnesium-containing nano-structured hybrid scaffolds for enhanced dentin regeneration” Tissue Engineering Part A 2014, 20:2422-2433. PMCID: PMC4161063.
- Sachar A, Strom A, Miguel S, Serrano M, Svoboda, KH, and Liu X. “Cell-matrix and cell-cell interactions of human gingival fibroblasts on 3D nanofibrous gelatin matrices” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine 2014, 8: 862-873. PMID: 22888047.
- Jin H, Zhang K, Qiao C, Yuan A, Li D, Zhao L, Shi C, Xu X, Ni S, Zheng C, Liu X, Yang B, Sun H. "Efficiently engineered cell sheet using a complex of polyethylenimine-alginate nanocomposites plus bone morphogenetic protein 2 gene to promote new bone formation." International Journal of Nanomedicine 2014, 9:2179-90, PMCID: PMC4019610.
- Qu T, Liu X. "Nano-structured gelatin/bioactive glass hybrid scaffolds for the enhancement of odontogenic differentiation of human dental pulp stem cells " Journal of Materials Chemistry B 2013, 1:4764-72, PMCID: PMC:3789537.
- Sun Y, Jiang Y, Liu Q, Gao T, Feng JQ, Dechow P, D’Souza RN, Qin C, and Liu X. “Biomimetic engineering of nanofibrous gelatin scaffolds with noncollagenous proteins for enhanced bone regeneration” Tissue Engineering Part A 2013 19: 1754-1763; PMCID:PMC3700013.
- Sachar A, Strom A, Serrano M, Benson MD, Opperman LA, Svoboda KH, Liu X. “Osteoblasts responses to three-dimensional nanofibrous gelatin scaffolds” Journal of Biomedical Material Research, Part A, 2012, 100A:3029-3041. PMID: 22707234, NIHMSID: 393653.
- Strom TA, Arora A, Osborn B, Karim N, Komabayashi T, and Liu X. “Endodontic release system for apexification using calcium hydroxide microspheres” Journal of Dental Research, 2012, 91(11): 1055-1059, PMID: 22914537.
- Liu X, Holzwarth J, Ma PX "Functionalized biodegradable polymer scaffolds for tissue engineering", Macromolecular Bioscience 2012, 12:911-919. PMID: 22396193.
- Program chair of Society for Biomaterials Dental/Craniofacial Special Interest Group (2015-2017)
- Organizer of six symposia for Society for Biomaterials (SFB), Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society (TERMIS), IADR/AADR, and American Anatomy Association (AAA) annual meetings (2013-2015)
- Invited grant reviewer, Medical Research Council (MRS) of United Kingdom (2013)
- Ad hoc reviewer for 33 journals (2013-present)
- Editorial board member of three journals (2013-present)
- 21 invited talks (nationally and internationally) (2011-2015)