Department of Biomedical Sciences
3302 Gaston Ave.
Dallas, Texas 75246
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=PQmfou8AAAAJ&hl=en
Google Scholar Profile:
Education and Post-Graduate Training
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Biologic and Materials Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI (2010)
- Ph.D., Polymer Chemistry, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (2002)
- B.E., Chemical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (1997)
- Associate Professor, Texas A&M College of Dentistry (2016 - present)
- Assistant Professor, Baylor College of Dentistry/Texas A&M College of Dentistry (2010 - 2016)
- Nano-Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine (Course Director)
- Cell and Molecular Biology of Oral and Craniofacial Tissues II (Co-Course Director)
- Responsible Conduct in Biomedical Research (Co-course Director)
- Microscopy, Imaging, and Associated Techniques (Co-course Director)
The research in my lab focuses on the development of bio-inspired materials and nanotechnologies for tissue regeneration and controlled drug delivery. Specifically, we are interested in 1) Design and synthesis of novel biomaterials and bio-responsive drug delivery systems; 2) Building biomimetic 3D platforms to control stem cell fates; and 3) Regeneration of dental and craniofacial tissues.
- NIH/NIDCR DE024979 Liu (PI) 7/1/2016 - 6/30/2021
- NIH/NIDCR DE019463 Liu (Co-I) 7/17/2017-4/30/2022
- CPRIT RP170179 Liu (Co-PI) 8/16/2017-8/15/2020
- TAMU-T3 Liu (PI) 4/1/2018-3/31/2020
- NIH/NIDCR DE22838 Liu (PI) 6/1/2013 - 5/31/2016
- NIH/NIDCR DE024343 (completed) Liu (PI) 8/5/2014 - 6/31/2015
- TAMU-Weizmann Collaborative Program (Israel) Liu (PI) 9/1/2012 - 8/31/2016
- Ma C, Chang B, Jing Y, Kim H, and Liu X (2018). “Bio-inspired micropatterned platforms recapitulate 3D physiological morphologies of bone and dentinal cells” Advanced Sciences
- Chang B, Ma C, and Liu X (2018). “Nanofibers regulate single bone marrow stem cell osteogenesis via FAK/RhoA/YAP1 pathway” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
- Hu Z, Ma C, Rong X, Zou S, and Liu X (2018). “Immunomodulatory ECM-like microspheres for accelerated bone regeneration in diabetes mellitus” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 10:2377-2390. PMID: 29280610.
- Ma C, Qu T, Chang B, Jing Y, Feng JQ, and Liu X. (2018) “3D maskless micropatterning for regeneration of highly organized tubular tissues” Advanced Healthcare Materials, 7: 1700738, PMCID: PMC5803393.
- Chang B, Ahuja N, Ma C, and Liu X. (2017) “Injectable scaffolds for dental and craniofacial regeneration” Materials Science & Engineering R: Reports, 111:1-26. PMCID: PMC5478172.
- Li X, Ma C, Xie X, Sun H, and Liu X. (2016) “Pulp regeneration in a full-length human tooth root using a hierarchical nanofibrous microsphere system" Acta Biomaterialia35:57-67, PMID: 26931056.
- Chen F and Liu X. (2016) “Advancing biomaterials of human origin for tissue engineering” Progress in Polymer Science, 53:86-168, PMCID: PMC4808059.
- Ma C, Jing Y, Sun H, and Liu X. (2015) "Hierarchical nanofibrous microsphere with controlled growth factor delivery for bone regeneration" Advanced Healthcare Materials, 4: 2699-2708, PMCID: PMC4715540
- Qu T, Jing J, Ren Y, Ma C, Feng J, Yu Q, and Liu X. (2015) “Complete pulpodentin complex regeneration by modulating the stiffness of biomimetic matrix” Acta Biomaterialia, 16: 60-70, NIHMS ID: NIHMS 661877.
- Li Z, Qu T, Ding C, Ma C, Sun H, Li S, and Liu X. (2015) “Injectable gelatin derivative hydrogels with sustained vascular endothelial growth factor release for induced angiogenesis” Acta Biomaterialia, 13:88-100. PMCID: PMC4293253.
- Qu T, Jing J, Jiang Y, Taylor RJ, Feng JQ, Geiger B, Liu X. (2014) “Magnesium-containing nano-structured hybrid scaffolds for enhanced dentin regeneration” Tissue Engineering Part A 20:2422-2433. PMCID: PMC4161063.
- Sachar A, Strom A, Miguel S, Serrano M, Svoboda, KH, and Liu X. (2014) “Cell-matrix and cell-cell interactions of human gingival fibroblasts on 3D nanofibrous gelatin matrices” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine8: 862-873. PMID: 22888047.
- Qu T, Liu X. (2013) “Nano-structured gelatin/bioactive glass hybrid scaffolds for the enhancement of odontogenic differentiation of human dental pulp stem cells” Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 1:4764-72, PMCID: PMC:3789537.
- Strom TA, Arora A, Osborn B, Karim N, Komabayashi T, and Liu X. (2012) “Endodontic release system for apexification using calcium hydroxide microspheres” Journal of Dental Research, 91: 1055-1059, PMID: 22914537.
Complete List of Published Work in myBibliography: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/xiaohua.liu.2/bibliography/45484534/public/?sort=date&direction=ascending
Or in Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=PQmfou8AAAAJ&hl=en
- Program chair of Society for Biomaterials Dental/Craniofacial Special Interest Group (2015-Present)
- Organizer of twelve symposia for Society for Biomaterials (SFB), Tissue Engineering, and Regenerative Medicine International Society (TERMIS), IADR/AADR, and American Anatomy Association (AAA) annual meetings (2013-2018)
- Invited grant reviewer: NIH, Medical Research Council (MRS) of United Kingdom, Hong Kong, and others (2013-Present)
- Ad hoc reviewer for 33 journals (2013-present)
- Editorial board member of three journals (2013-present)
- 24 invited talks (nationally and internationally) (2013-2018)